Chiropractic Treatment for Neck Pain
Neck pain is one of the perils of modern life. It has many possible causes, from sleeping in the wrong position to poor posture, or even spending too much time in front of the computer or behind the steering wheel. Neck injuries and degenerative disease can also cause pain in varying degrees; although the most obvious type of injury is whiplash, other more minor injuries can also result in pain and stiffness.
Whatever the cause, most of us will experience neck-related pain at some point in our lives and chiropractic care is a drug-free, non-surgical option for dealing with it. In fact, a 2012 study, published in the Annals of Internal Medicine, found chiropractic care to be markedly more effective for relieving neck pain than non-steroidal anti-inflammatories such as ibuprofen and naproxen, or even narcotics—and the effects were still evident an entire year later. If you’re seeking Bolingbroke neck pain relief, chiropractic care may be the answer you’re looking for.
Some conditions which may benefit from chiropractic treatment include:
- Cervical (neck) sprains
- Cervical degenerative joint syndrome
- Nerve impingement
A common misconception about chiropractic care is that it only entails spinal and cervical manipulation. In actuality, most chiropractors adopt a holistic approach which aims to treat the whole person. This means that your chiropractor may employ a range of other treatments in addition to spinal manipulation.
Many issues contribute to neck pain, including stress, muscular tension, and trigger points, and because you are an unique individual with your own unique contributing factors, your treatment will also be unique. Treatment varies depending on your diagnosis, and may include options as diverse as stress management and nutritional consultation in addition to actual physical manipulation. Possible treatments may include:
- Manual manipulation – this is the classic adjustment that comes to mind for most people when they think of chiropractic. The chiropractor uses his or her hands to apply gentle pressure and manipulate the spine.
- Instrument-assisted manipulation – employs a hand-held tool to apply gentle force to the spine.
- Therapeutic massage – tense muscles often contribute to neck pain, and therapeutic massage works to relieve muscular tension. Massage also makes cervical manipulation easier, and decreases the likelihood of newly-adjusted vertebrae being pulled back out of alignment by tight muscles.
- Manual stretching and resistance exercise – like therapeutic massage, manual stretching and resistance techniques work to relax tense neck muscles and relieve pain. Stretching and resistance techniques can also help restore balance and improve head and neck posture, reducing the incidence of pain recurring.
- Trigger point therapy – trigger points, sometimes mistakenly called “pressure points” are small, intensely tender areas within a muscle, which refer pain to other areas. They are a common cause of both neck pain and headaches. Trigger point therapy works to release trigger points, thus relieving pain and muscular tension which may contribute to neck pain.
- Inferential electrical stimulation – stimulates the neck muscles with a very mild electrical current, relieving pain and stiffness by encouraging muscles to relax.
- Ultrasound – uses sound waves to gently release tension in muscles. Ultrasound is a very soothing and gentle therapy.
Ultrasound, electrical stimulation, massage, trigger point therapy and stretching are usually used in conjunction with manual or instrument-assisted manipulation. These techniques all work together to re-align, re-balance, and eliminate pain without drugs or surgery.
New Life Chiropractic and Dr Garofalo, are located in Bolingbrook, Il while servicing the areas of Naperville, Plainfield and Romeoville.
Call now for an Appointment!